Thursday, October 21, 2010

influences I see in the chapter Born Bad

I really thought this story was vital to understanding how Esperanza deals with her struggles in growing up.  Cisneros writes so well in this chapter and it really stands out to me.  Esperanza is dealing with the idea of death, and how people around you can just disappear and/or get sick very fast.  Esperanza thinks, "But I think diseases have no eyes.  They pick with a dizzy finger, just anyone" (Cisneros 59).  So we see that she sees that life is not fair.

But what is really great is that she has positive influences in her aunt who encourages her writing.  This is so cool, because writing is a way out for Esperanza and it is a way for her to deal with her emoitons and struggles.  Even though her aunt is weary, she encourages Esperanza and I love this part of the chapter where her aunt states: "You just remember to keep writing, Esperanza.  You must keep writing.  It will keep you free, and I said yes, but at that time I didn't know what she meant" (61).

Later, we will see that Esperanza does know what her aunt means, as she starts to build her dreams, and realize them.  This is very positive!

It reminds me of the power of writing, and the movie Freedom Writers.  Have any of you seen it? What did you think?  I think it relates to what we are seeing in our two books!

2 comments:

Justin Gingery said...

I agree with you in this chapter. I actually have never seen this movie. I have heard about it, and heard that its a good movie. I will try to watch it sometime.

Joel Caserta said...

Indeed, Life is not fair. The only thing that could be worse than life not being fair, is if life were fair, If life were fair, bad things would happen to the good people of the world becaused they deserved them. One must take great comfort in the general hostility of the universe.