Tuesday, November 23, 2010

What They Learn in School

What They Learn in School by Jerome Stern was my favorite poem. My favorite line in line in the poem was "And They do want them to know all about this great land of ours so so they will be patriotic, But they don't want them to learn about the tragedy and pain in its real history because then they will be critical about this great land of ours and we will be passively taken over by foreign power." I liked this quote because it reminds me of my elementary school education and how they taught us about how thanksgiving was about how the Native Americans helped the Pilgrims when they first came to America, but they never taught us about how the pilgrims took the Native Americans land and tryed to kill them.
I feel that this poem was trying to uncover the truths that some schools try to hide from kids so that they turn out how the society wants them to be.

1 comment:

Laura Toribio said...

Kunal,

I agree with you. Schools try to make everyone the same. They want them to be acceptable by society. the quote you choose reminds me of Thanksgiving too.