Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Video Game culture - Joel Caserta

Video games have changed a lot in the years since Super Mario Brothers, Sonic the Hedgehog, PacMan, and the other classics from the late eighties and early nineties. I'm happy that I was there for the classics, I almost missed them. Had I missed Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Mario Bros. It would definitely impact my way of gaming. I've played a tonne of video games. I would go on to own almost every Nintendo console, (except for Super NES, which I had a Sega Mega Drive instead of.) And it would lead to endless hours of fun for me. Eventually, I would move onto Microsoft's Xbox 360, where I would become a huge fan of the Xbox's exclusive titles. Halo: a futuristic science fiction first person shooter, chronicling the experiences of a Spartan-II super soldier, Master Chief Petty Officer John-117, more commonly known as "The Master Chief," in his fight against a brutal alien Hegemony known as the Covenant. Mass Effect, a Science Fiction Role-playing game, chronicling Commander Sheppard, a human war-hero that's been inducted into an elite multi-race police force known as "The Spectres" and his quest to bring a Spectre gone rogue to justice. Gears of War, a Third person shooter following the story of Marcus Fenix, a soldier wrongfully imprisoned after a monkey trial for desertion. Who is tasked with saving his people from annihilation of the brutal Locust Hordes.

More recently, however, I've started to move away from console gaming as my primary source of entertainment. Instead, though the Valve Corporation's Digital Delivery software: "Steam," it opened up a number of games exclusively for PC. Including Half-Life, where a theoretical physicist from MIT, Dr. Gordon Freeman, is placed at the epicentre of an alien invasion, and he finds himself fighting to survive both the Aliens, and a special Black Operations Unit from the United States Marine Corps sent in to cover it up. And Fallout, a role-playing game set in post apocalyptic America after nuclear war devastated the United States, and an insane doctor has created an army of Mutants to take control of the world.

All in all, Video games have done nothing but get better and better. And I can only imagine what I'll be playing ten years down the road.

For general Information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Game

No comments: